Volunteers are an important part of our school community. By generously donating their time and expertise to our school, volunteers support the learning environment for our students.
Our schools are committed to ensuring student safety. With this in mind, drivers who are volunteering to drive any child other than their own are required to complete a Criminal Record Check (CRC) and obtain a Driver’s Abstract.
To become a parent volunteer driver follow these steps:
- Volunteer Driver Information and Authorization – Complete the questions on the Parent Connect site: https://www.sd61.bc.ca/parent-student-resources/parent-connect
- If another member of your family wishes to act as a volunteer driver please request a paper form from the office for them to complete.
- Provide your school with a copy of your Driver’s License and the Vehicle Registration/Insurance. (minimum $1, 000, 000 Third Party Liability); send to the school
- Get a copy of your Driver’s Abstract by calling ICBC at 1-800-663-3051 (between 8:00 am – 5:00 pm). Or, get it online at: https://onlinebusiness.icbc.com/clio/
- Once you receive your Driver’s Abstract in the mail, please bring it to the school office or send it via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Your Driver’s Abstract expires at the same time as your driver’s licence.
- Apply online for a Criminal Record Check.
- Go to: https://justice.gov.bc.ca/eCRC/home.htm. Each school has a unique code – the classroom teacher or the office will have this. Use the Applicant-Based Online Service and your Criminal Record Check will be sent directly to the school to: email@example.com
- PLEASE KEEP A COPY OF THE CONFIRMATION PAGE THAT APPEARS WHEN YOU HAVE APPLIED. We may be able to use this as authorization if the CRC is delayed.
- NOTE: Criminal Record Check applicants who do not have a credit history of at least six months or have not been living in Canada for at least two years will need to get a Volunteer Driver Letter from the school office to take it to your municipal police department. We greatly appreciate all of our volunteer drivers taking the time to complete this process. For further information, please contact the school office.
- The Criminal Record Check is good for five years.
Other important information:
- Parent driving own child only – No documents are required.
- Non-custodial grandparent, or any other related family member (aunt, uncle) If driving related child – no documents are required.
- If driving other children – all documents are required.
We greatly appreciate all of our volunteer drivers taking the time to complete this process. Please be assured that your personal information will be kept confidential and secure. For further information, please contact the school office or your child’s teacher.
Volunteer Driver Checklist:
⃝ Volunteer Driver information filled in on Parent Connects website
⃝ Submit driver’s license to: firstname.lastname@example.org
⃝ Submit vehicle insurance to: email@example.com
⃝ Driver’s Abstract copy to: firstname.lastname@example.org
⃝ Criminal Record Check